[OpenIndiana-discuss] solaris vs opensolaris and about security to LInux

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Jan 26 15:41:49 UTC 2011

On 01/26/11 07:36 AM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 01/26/11 07:18 AM, ann kok wrote:
>> Can someone have time to explain me what is the different between solaris10 and opensolaris?
>
> OpenSolaris was the open source release of the code for the development branch
> of the version after Solaris 10, which is now being called Solaris 11.
>
> There was also a distro named OpenSolaris, with releases such as OpenSolaris
> 2008.05 and OpenSolaris 2009.06 - that distro has been discontinued, and
> replaced by Oracle Solaris 11 Express, a preview of the future Solaris 11.
>
>> ls opensolaris also in C2 security model to compare to linux?
>
> "C2" is very much obsolete on every OS.   Solaris 10, Solaris 11 & OpenSolaris
> all include stronger protections than that level provided, including
> multi-level/labeled security via Solaris Trusted Extensions.   The
> security-discuss mailing list or forum on this website can answer specific
> questions there.

Whoops, of course, when the response arrived back in my inbox I noticed this
was on openindiana-discuss, not the opensolaris-discuss I thought.   That
last bit referred to security-discuss at opensolaris.org, not an openindiana list.

(And of course OpenIndiana is another fork/replacement distro for the
discontinued OpenSolaris, but presumably you knew that when you mailed
the OpenIndiana mailing list.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com