[OpenIndiana-discuss] BSD Magazine mentions OpenIndiana

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Thu Jan 27 01:15:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 10:09 +0000, Jonathan Adams wrote:
> True, but then Sun did mess up by abandoning Solaris x86 (last release
> Solaris 8) just at the time that it (x86) really took off, and in
> realising their mistake started producing Solaris x86 (First release
> late Solaris 9) ...
>
> It caused us problems and headaches because we ran Oracle on one of
> our servers (although we had some Sparc in house at the time) and
> Oracle said that they were going to stop supporting x86.
>
> We now have only 1 Sparc box left, about 30 x86 Solaris 10 boxes ...
> and currently 1 OpenIndiana laptop ...

Only 1 *Solaris box left here as well - and that's my workstation daily
driver.  Been meaning to getting around to switching it over to FreeBSD
but time has slipped by.

I took 148-dev for a short test drive shortly after "release" and man,
OI is so sluggish as to be pretty much unusable as a desktop and I just
wrote it off as a dev release, still not ready for prime time.

Subsequently Alasdair posted his stable release proposal, which made me
think I needed to revisit OI and take a closer look.  Then this BSD mag
article comes out.  Interestingly, the article author acknowledges that
it takes forever and a day to boot, but then comments on it performing
well.

I installed in on an exact clone of my workstation (presently
OS-2009.06) and the difference was like night and day.  I didn't have
time to look into it at all but mayhaps some major x server changes?
Graphics card is Radeon RV370, wh/uses radeon driver on the os box, but
Gnome being so slow makes me wonder if maybe OI was defaulting to vga?

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>