[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana/Illumos & Google Summer of Code

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Jan 27 15:32:32 UTC 2011

On 01/27/11 03:27 AM, Edward Martinez wrote:
>     Sorry, I too have my schedule full,:-( I was not aware how much it takes to
> enroll a project into GSOC program after reading some of the requirements
>    it appears it takes more then one person with a lot of time to organize it,
> this is some of what google requires, I'm willing to help, if i can,  i thought
> it would neat to get illumos to
>    pair with OI.

Right - don't think of GSoC as magically providing free labor for nothing,
consider it more as some of your existing active developers volunteering
to spend several months helping mentor and train new developers, using your
project as their learning material.   You may or may not get usable improvements
to the code, you might also get students who drop out, or who learn from their
project what doesn't work and that something shouldn't be integrated to your
code the way they attempted.   In any case, the primary goal of GSoC is to
develop students into new/better community members & open source developers,
with any code that may or may not develop as a potential, but not guaranteed,
bonus.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com