[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Edward Martinez mindbender_1 at live.com
Thu Jan 27 11:27:29 UTC 2011

On 01/26/11 04:14, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> On 26 Jan 2011, at 00:00, Edward Martinez wrote:
>>     Hi Alasdair
>>
>>    Google Summer of Code 2011 was just announce, wondering if OI can benefit by taking part?
>>    http://code.google.com/soc/
> I don't know much about the Google Summer of Code, and time-wise I'm pretty over-stretched. Would you be interested in reading up on it and putting our project forward for it?
>
> Regards,
>
> Alasdair

      Hi,

     Sorry, I too have my schedule full,:-( I was not aware how much it
takes to enroll a project into GSOC program after reading some of the
requirements
    it appears it takes more then one person with a lot of time to
organize it, this is some of what google requires, I'm willing to help,
if i can,  i thought it would neat to get illumos to
    pair with OI.
     :
*    Applying to Google Summer of Code*
     1. How does a mentoring organization apply?

     The organization should choose a single administrator to submit its
application via the Google Summer of Code2011 site between February 28 -
March 11, 2011.

     2. What should a mentoring organization application look like?

       In addition to anything else your organization would like to
submit as an application, Google will be asking (at least) the following
questions as part of the application process:

   1. Describe your organization.
   2. Why is your organization applying to participate in Google Summer
      of Code 2011? What do you hope to gain by participating?
   3. Did your organization participate in past Google Summer of Codes?
      If so, please summarize your involvement and the successes and
      challenges of your participation.
   4. If your organization has not previously participated in Google
      Summer of Code, have you applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?
   5. What license(s) does your project use?
   6. What is the URL for your Ideas page?
   7. What is the main development mailing list for your organization?
   8. What is the main IRC channel for your organization?
   9. Does your organization have an application template you would like
      to see students use? If so, please provide it now.
  10. Who will be your backup organization administrator?
  11. What criteria did you use to select these individuals as mentors?
      Please be as specific as possible.
  12. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?
  13. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?
  14. What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with
      your project's community before, during and after the program?
  15. What will you do to ensure that your accepted students stick with
      the project after Google Summer of Code concludes?

http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/faqs#applying