[OpenIndiana-discuss] System hangs on boot: No space on device msg.

Kees Nuyt k.nuyt at zonnet.nl
Sat Jul 9 00:40:17 UTC 2011

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:44:44 -0700, Nick wrote:

> Hi everyone!

> This is my first post / install of OI and I just ran into
> a curious issue. While trying to mount a NFS share
> (exported from the OI server) on a client box, the OI
> server crashed. I got the black screen of death, what
> looked like a log dump, then the system restated. It
> never came back up and I get the following error msg
> after I halt the boot:

> svc.startd[9] Could not log for
> svc:/network/dns/mulitcast:default: write(30) failed with
> No space left on device?

> I don't have anything else on the bood drive other than
> the OS so... I'm not sure what could be filling up the
> drive? Maybe a log file of some kind? I can't seem to
> delete anything regardless. It gives me a no space error
> when I try and delete anything?

No space error on deleting is typical for a full zpool.
To delete a file in a copy-on-write filesystem like zfs, it has to
write a new copy of the directory.

> Any suggestions?

Destroy one or more snapshots to create some space.
zfs list -t all will reveal them.

Then investigate /var/cores, /var/crash, /var/adm, /var/log etc.
for space hogs.

If you can't get it booted from the hard drive :
* Boot the system with a live CD
* Import the rpool with
	zpool import -R /altroot
	Probably -f is required to get it imported
* proceed as above

HTH
--
  (  Kees Nuyt