[OpenIndiana-discuss] Shorter subjects for mailing lists

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Tue Jul 12 03:11:12 UTC 2011

On 2011-07-09 14:20, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>> Nikola M wrote:
>>> I would like to propose shorter subjects in the mailing lists.
>>> (Caiman-team,G11n-team,Jds-team,Sfw-team, rest are Ok I think)
>> PLEASE
>> Consider shortening Subject lines for Mailing list subjects.
>> PLEASE.
>
> Most of us use GUI-based email readers that handle>80char subjects. Is this really an issue?

For me, in Thunderbird, the subject is squeezed into about a sixth of
the Thunderbird window, which is about half my screen width.  So, in
fact, "Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] ntpd not keeping time in sync" is
within a few characters of the max that will show without being truncated.

And I have a 26" wide-screen monitor for photoshop work; most people
have smaller displays.

It's in the message list that the subject line is important, of course;
where I use it to find things, and such.  The fact that the whole thing
shows on the current message in the preview window doesn't really matter
much.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info