[OpenIndiana-discuss] Shorter subjects for mailing lists

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Tue Jul 12 04:07:34 UTC 2011

> On 2011-07-09 14:20, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>> Most of us use GUI-based email readers that handle>80char subjects. Is
>> this really an issue?

Yes, it is really an issue.  Trying to make sense of mailing list
subjects on my phone, for instance, is a bit tiresome.

On 12 July 2011 13:11, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:
> For me, in Thunderbird, the subject is squeezed into about a sixth of the
> Thunderbird window, which is about half my screen width.
>
> It's in the message list that the subject line is important, of course;
> where I use it to find things, and such.  The fact that the whole thing
> shows on the current message in the preview window doesn't really matter
> much.

Indeed!  How many GUI e-mail interfaces actually use the whole window
width to display subject lines anymore?  And who uses their entire
cinematic widescreen display for just one application at a time?  I
know that I don't.

If we can be terse while remaining legible and filterable then I'm all for it.

--
Joshua M. Clulow
UNIX Admin/Developer