[OpenIndiana-discuss] Shorter subjects for mailing lists

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Tue Jul 12 21:53:37 UTC 2011

On Jul 12, 2011, at 3:45 PM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

>> Yes, it is really an issue. Trying to make sense of mailing list
>> subjects on my phone, for instance, is a bit tiresome.
>
> I guess most phones should allow for a little longer subjects than that these days. For instance, my phone shows, for a particular email (bug post)
>
> [Illumos gate - Bug #1197] Hang after resilver finishe.... (date)
>
> Or perhaps we should go back to old http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code_abbreviations ? ;)
>
> Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

Just as a sample point:

for the subject
Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Shorter subjects for mailing lists

vertical orientation on my iPhone (4/CDMA) gives me up to Shorter...
horizontal orientation gives me the whole line with maybe room for one more short word.  That's actually more than I get on my Mac
with Mail, because I don't have the window anywhere near full screen width, and I do have an extra column for which mailbox or account, since it has views that are rule-based composites of multiple mail boxes or accounts.  So I don't particularly care, myself.  And I only read mailing list mail on my phone if I'm away from hom for a number of days.

However, if one had a phone with less screen space, or one that wouldn't provide a horizontal view, I can see that it could be a nuisance to have long subject lines.