[OpenIndiana-discuss] can't get into system after hostname change

Brett Dikeman brett.dikeman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 03:03:18 UTC 2011

Greetings all,

I just changed the hostname on an OpenIndiana machine by changing
/etc/hostname.(ifname), /etc/nodename, and rebooting.  Networking is
down, and worse, I can't login using known-good credentials.

On the console was an error about SMF not starting, and on each login
attempt, this appears:

"Solaris_audit getadrinfo(hobbes) failed[node name or service name not
known]: Error 0
Solaris_audit adt_get_local_address failed, no Audit IP address
available, faking loopback and error: Network is down
Login incorrect"

The system has a static IP and is not using directory services.
Obviously, this is a big problem...and I'm a bit under the gun to fix
it.  Suggestions would be most welcome; I have console access, and
possibly virtual media access, at the moment.

Much appreciated,

Brett