[OpenIndiana-discuss] Stack not written error on install attempt

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Sat Jul 16 12:46:42 UTC 2011

  That really sounds like it might be it since other oses work with it.
I will just sit on it then....  I am going to use sunrays to talk with
that server anyway.

On 07/16/11 05:28 AM, Ben Taylor wrote:
> Oh, I think I know what that problem is.
>
> I saw problems with my Radeon X1550 PCI.  That board has a PCI to
> PCI-E bridge on it, and I had similar issues you are reporting with
> Solaris 10 and Solaris Express.
>
> Early on (S10U6/7) I could get systems to boot with that board in,
> but then the system would enumerate all the normal ISA/PCI devices
> as PCI-E.  Later version of Solaris just crashed with that board in.
>
> I think the PCI/PCI-E routing code in Solaris just gets supremely
> confused by the bridge and just gives up the ghost.  I wonder if
> that NVidia card also has a PCI-PCIE bridge.
>
> I've got an extra Radeon PCI X1550 to loan to an OI/Illumos developer
> wants to take a shot at this....
>
> Ben
>

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Daniel Kjar<dkjar at elmira.edu>  wrote:
>>   i pulled the video card and it booted and installed fine.  I put the card
>> back in and it puked again but didn't give me that dump.  The card was
>> working fine with the machine in Ubuntu but that doesn't mean much.  It is a
>> pci 9500 gt nvidia (sparkle) in a v40z (which was never meant to have a
>> video card) so I think it probably isn't worth pursuing further. ....
>>

>> On 07/14/11 04:09 PM, Richard Lowe wrote:
>>> That's part of the messages you get if the systems panics prior to the
>>> dump
>>> device being configured.
>>>
>>> Boot with -kv added to the kernel$ line in the grub configuration (hit 'e'
>>> to edit.) And it should stop in the debugger and give you time to read the
>>> message.  The '$<msgbuf ' command will let you page through the console
>>> log,
>>> including the panic message and stack, if/when you have those the best
>>> thing
>>> to do us to file an illmus bug including them (its easiest to attach
>>> photos,
>>> copying out addresses in hex is tedious and error prone.)
>>>
>>> -- Rich

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson