[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI-151: GNOME crashes but not KDE 4.6

Alex Lam S.L. alexlamsl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:37:02 UTC 2011

So after updating the nvidia driver as suggested and still get frozen
desktop every few days (SSH to restart gdm will rectify the issue
without the need to reset the PC), I have decided to take the other
suggestion and give KDE a go.

I followed the instructions on this page:

  http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Solaris/OpenSolaris

and fetched my copy from here (thanks for the hard work guys!):

  http://solaris.bionicmutton.org/pkg/4.6.0

... and it just works.

After that, I have been running the server PC for two weeks without
any frozen desktop issues.

So I wonder if this is a GNOME-specific issue? Or is this still a
nvidia driver issue, just that faulty functionality in question is
used by GNOME but not KDE?

Alex.

P.S. from the package version numbers this seems to be 4.6.1, but I am
not certain.