[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI-151: GNOME crashes but not KDE 4.6

Guido Berhoerster gber at openindiana.org
Fri Jul 22 11:45:47 UTC 2011

* Alex Lam S.L. <alexlamsl at gmail.com> [2011-07-20 12:37]:
> So after updating the nvidia driver as suggested and still get frozen
> desktop every few days (SSH to restart gdm will rectify the issue
> without the need to reset the PC), I have decided to take the other
> suggestion and give KDE a go.
>
> I followed the instructions on this page:
>
>   http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Solaris/OpenSolaris
>
> and fetched my copy from here (thanks for the hard work guys!):
>
>   http://solaris.bionicmutton.org/pkg/4.6.0
>
> ... and it just works.
>
> After that, I have been running the server PC for two weeks without
> any frozen desktop issues.
>
> So I wonder if this is a GNOME-specific issue? Or is this still a
> nvidia driver issue, just that faulty functionality in question is
> used by GNOME but not KDE?

The latter is likely though speculation without further
information, there were a couple of reports linking such freezes
on both Nvidia and Intel hardware to Compiz. You might want to
review whether
https://www.illumos.org/issues/1135
https://www.illumos.org/issues/1161
https://www.illumos.org/issues/1127
describe your problem and try whether you can reproduce it on the
experimental /dev-il repo (http://pkg.openindiana.org/dev-il)
which has a newer Nvidia driver than /dev. You might also want to
try whether using Metacity instead of Compiz still results in
freezes.
If you open a new bug report please state at the very least what
version of OI you are running and include the Xorg logfile.
--
Guido Berhoerster