[OpenIndiana-discuss] Currently booting OSOL 134 on a USB and need some advice

David Robertson DavidR at davie.com
Tue Jul 26 15:43:54 UTC 2011

My currently SNV_134 OpenSolaris build boots from a USB stick and I'm looking to upgrade to OI, but the USB port its connected to is falling apart and has become really temperamental.

There's an issue (bug) with 134 in that you cannot boot it from a different USB port as it won't fine the OS from within GRUB.

I think I have enough space on the current USB stick to upgrade:
rpool  size           7.88G                   -
rpool  capacity       54%                     -
rpool  altroot        -                       default
rpool  health         ONLINE                  -
rpool  guid           9598091521594752872     default
rpool  version        22                      default
rpool  bootfs         rpool/ROOT/opensolaris  local
rpool  delegation     on                      default
rpool  autoreplace    off                     default
rpool  cachefile      -                       default
rpool  failmode       wait                    default
rpool  listsnapshots  off                     default
rpool  autoexpand     off                     default
rpool  dedupditto     0                       default
rpool  dedupratio     1.00x                   -
rpool  free           3.56G                   -
rpool  allocated      4.31G                   -

So I guess my question is, if I upgrade to OI will I be able to boot from another USB port (or is there an easy fix for that before I upgrade)?

Thanks

Davie