[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS server stops authenticating users

Chris Ridd chrisridd at mac.com
Tue Jul 26 18:59:30 UTC 2011

We're trying to use the oi_148 kernel CIFS server in workgroup mode to serve a few Windows clients.

The smbd was authenticating users against /var/smb/smbpasswd happily for a while but - I'm not sure when - has stopped.

It doesn't log why, and some dtrace suggests something weird is up inside smbd. I observed that smbd is calling smb_token_auth_local(), which is calling smb_auth_validate_nt().

smb_auth_validate_nt() is returning a non-zero value (success) but smb_token_auth_local() consistently returns 0x010F. I cannot see from the public sources of smb_logon.c how that can be! It is also not one of the defined values in ntstatus.h.

Because the result is not NT_STATUS_SUCCESS, smb_logon_local() skips filling in the smb_token_t structure and I haven't chased it all back, but I'd imagine this is why authentication is failing.

Has anyone here seen smbd going strange like this? I've sent a msg to cifs-discuss, but figured folks here might be more familiar with smbd in workgroup mode.

Chris