[OpenIndiana-discuss] a few questions... flash, firefox, usb flash install, libreoffice, zfs update, suggestions

drs grid drs.grid at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 18:22:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 4:48 AM, <cwjordanoi at cox.net> wrote:

> ---- drs grid <drs.grid at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Secondly I initially tried to install the desktop version on a usb flash
> > device which did not go well the entire (default) took more than 12 hours
> > get it on the stick.  I was able to boot freeNAS off of it yesterday as
> well
> > as a few other OS's. Also when it was finally installed - i waited 30
> > minutes for it to boot up (after which i turned it off to track down a
> sata
> > controller and extra disk). Has anyone else tried running OpenIndiana off
> of
> > flash. I am now using a SATA disk. but how and who do i notify to have
> them
> > look into this problem / possible bug?
>
> I'm afraid I haven't tried booting off a usb flash drive myself, and while
> Google shows me some complaints about usb flash performance it's not clear
> to me if there is a known problem.  However, I can answer your second
> question, the bug and feature trackers for Openindiana are hosted on the
> Illumos site, here: https://www.illumos.org/projects/openindiana

I see... i dont know the protocol - should i cross post this "bug" on the
Illumos site, you mentioned or is there a better approach?

>  >

> > Third after my sata install was complete and i got networking configured,
> > tried to use package manager to check for updates - it detected an update
> > ZFS 0.5.11 (Build 5.11-0.148)
> > - anyhow I hit ok and got this:
> > " Preparing...
> > Gathering package information
> >
> > Error:
> > This is an Live Image. The install operation can't be performed.
> > "
> > Not sure what is meant by 'live image', this is an installed OS - not
> live
> > CD... thoughts anyone?
> >

> This may be a known problem, see: https://www.illumos.org/issues/879
> The workaround for that bug is to run "pkg image-update" from the command
> line, since the bug only affects the gui.

Oh Sweet - thanks, today is my second day with O.I. but yeah guess i should
have thought of that... didnt try it & now it updated without a hitch.  Many
thanks, hopefully after reboot ill be able to use ZFS 30

Chris Jordan
cwjordanoi at cox.net