[OpenIndiana-discuss] a few questions... flash, firefox, usb flash install, libreoffice, zfs update, suggestions

cwjordanoi at cox.net cwjordanoi at cox.net
Sun Jul 31 02:41:54 UTC 2011

---- drs grid <drs.grid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 4:48 AM, <cwjordanoi at cox.net> wrote:
>
> > ---- drs grid <drs.grid at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Secondly I initially tried to install the desktop version on a usb flash
> > > device which did not go well the entire (default) took more than 12 hours
> > > get it on the stick.  I was able to boot freeNAS off of it yesterday as
> > well
> > > as a few other OS's. Also when it was finally installed - i waited 30
> > > minutes for it to boot up (after which i turned it off to track down a
> > sata
> > > controller and extra disk). Has anyone else tried running OpenIndiana off
> > of
> > > flash. I am now using a SATA disk. but how and who do i notify to have
> > them
> > > look into this problem / possible bug?
> >
> > I'm afraid I haven't tried booting off a usb flash drive myself, and while
> > Google shows me some complaints about usb flash performance it's not clear
> > to me if there is a known problem.  However, I can answer your second
> > question, the bug and feature trackers for Openindiana are hosted on the
> > Illumos site, here: https://www.illumos.org/projects/openindiana
> >

> I see... i dont know the protocol - should i cross post this "bug" on the
> Illumos site, you mentioned or is there a better approach?

The protocol is loose right now.  You may submit it to the link above, please include all the info you can, as you would with any bug report.  I believe you have to create a (free) account on the Illumos site in order to submit bugs.  For what it is worth, since it sounds like an issue with the Illumos kernel that the Openindiana distribution is based on, the bug would end up being moved over to the bug tracker for Illumos (or you could submit it directly there), assuming it's not a duplicate of something already in there.

Chris Jordan
cwjordanoi at cox.net