[OpenIndiana-discuss] oracle gives openoffuce to apache

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Thu Jun 2 09:52:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 10:42 +0100, Jonathan Adams wrote:
> Apache didn't want OpenOffice originally according to press/blogs of
> people in the know ... probably because Apache got bitten over the
> whole Java thing.
>
> There was, however, a contract with Sun to keep maintaining and
> improving OpenOffice, which passed to Oracle, and after all the dev
> team left and formed LibreOffice Oracle were left with a project that
> they couldn't afford to keep up to date (as is seen in the lack of
> development in comparison to LibreOffice ... 3.4 due out this week)
>
> The big thing will be if rather than just giving the code, and control
> of the code to Apache they give the name to Apache too ... this is the
> only bit missing from LibreOffice, and the only bit worth having from
> whats left of the original OpenOffice (yes the plugins on OOo are
> good, but most have been transferred to LibreOffice).
>
> According to the missive from LibreOffice; Apache are keen to talk to
> the LibreOffice team, although where those talks lead is yet to be
> decided, some people are wondering if Oracle are handing the name to
> Apache so as not to lose face by giving it to LibreOffice directly,
> and are wondering if that is the only reason that Apache changed it's
> mind to "take on" the project.
>
> Jon
>
> PS. I'm not affiliated, I'm just interested.

Yeah, that's basically what I was getting at w/o going into details. At
this juncture, I'm of the opinion that LibreOffice would be taking a
step backwards if it took on the Openoffice name.  Folks know that
LibreOffice is the path for future.  The LibreOffice name is also, imo,
more enticing to me as end user - especially in this day and age of
"fake bake" corporate "open source" projects.

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>