[OpenIndiana-discuss] oracle gives openoffuce to apache

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 10:15:28 UTC 2011

I've just read (
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/01/oracle_openoffice_apache/page2.html
) that Oracle will retain the OpenOffice name, so basically they've
given Apache all the code and rights to change the licenses, and then
stopped developing ... way to go Oracle.

LibreOffice will be much better off staying as "LibreOffice" in that
situation, and the longer it goes on the more they should stay as
LibreOffice anyway.

If LibreOffice cannot get the OpenOffice branding to own; then I hope
that Apache designate the OpenOffice project as not worth keeping,
which would mean that IBM would have good cause to feel annoyed at
Oracle and, _if_ there is a contract, take Oracle out back and shoot
it :)

I got excited that Oracle were giving up OpenOffice (I have trained so
many people to use OpenOffice that it is going to be a little hard to
convince them to move to LibreOffice) but I've come to the conclusion
that it's just noise with no real substance.

Jon