[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 148/151dev, intel915 Xorg freezes

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 12:03:58 UTC 2011

On 06/ 8/11 12:22 PM, Olaf Bohlen wrote:
> I'm in trouble with my "new" hp ProBook 6450b. It has a i915 Intel
> graphics card installed and running it with the vesa driver in Xorg
> works.
> If I want to use the "intel" driver from Xorg to use DRI, I just get a
> black screen (it switches to graphics mode, but nothing appears on the
> screen).
> According to Xorg.0.log everything works fine, no errors are printed.
>
> Has someone an Idea to solve this?
Latest info I got about i915/Illumos/OI is that one should go to
http://intellinuxgraphics.org/how_to_report_bug.html
and see if upstream driver writers can help.
If debugged changes are modest, then GDA could pick them up.
For debug info, see:
http://intellinuxgraphics.org/how_to_report_bug.html
(I haven't made any intelligent moves on topic till now)

http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2011-January/thread.html#117

See if those descriptions of mine apply to you:
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/laptop-discuss/2010-February/thread.html#8368
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/laptop-discuss/2010-March/thread.html#8386

I also have much trouble with 915 graphics driver, since Opensolaris
snv_132 (131 was latest that was working Ok).
Since 132 I have screen freezing in random times so my sessions in OI
are short and almost always broken with screen stops refreshing.
It also happening in S11Ex, so everyone is in the sam wagon.

I personally have some doubts about actual hardware (Dell D620 Nbook,
Intel) but since the time bug is reported when OpenSolaris 132/133 was
there , there was a little move on this matter. Latest info I had befor
Oracle closed bug reports to outside reporting and viewing is that i915
graphics bugs are postponed for next Xorg server in closed Solaris branch.
Since I have no info that anyone actually work on implementing newer
Xorg in newer OI releases, and I am not sure anyone is fixing bugs i
Xorg on Illumos Level (point me to one if I am wrong) , there are fat
chances that i91 bug could be sorted out.

I myself is willing of learning and debugging everything needed, but it
is kind of chicken and egg problem at me,
To feel safe and to have environment that is stable enough to work on, I
need at least stable X. Not to mention other things that I am not doing,
that I could for OI. *Like porting and other things)

Someone could say I should change hardware. But ATM I can not.
So I am seriously thinking of somehow moving away on this hardware  if I
am not capable of debugging/fixing it myself alone and I am not untill I
learn.