[OpenIndiana-discuss] Backups and snapshots

Gabriele Bulfon gbulfon at sonicle.com
Fri Jun 10 19:31:12 UTC 2011

Hi, I'm in the middle of a brainstorm over backup strategies and snapshots affidabilities.
What are your final words on backup strategies of ZFS storages?
What makes me brainstorm is expecially snapshots.
How can I consider an iscsi snapshotted raw device safe, when I don't know what the virtual machine
is doing on it with its own file system?
This question makes me feel unsure of any backup strategy I may implement over exported volumes,
where systems just write what they think it's their own file system.
That's why I want to do CIFS for Windows servers, instead of giving the filesystem as a raw device
to the primary domain controller.
That's why I think it would be better to share volumes through NFS to linux and solaris servers.
How can I be safe?
:)
Gabriele.