[OpenIndiana-discuss] Configure static IP with nwam

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Sun Jun 19 12:33:00 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 10:37:13AM +0200, Serge Fonville wrote:

> create /etc/nwam/llp like this:
> > e1000g0 static 10.0.0.4/24
>
> Unfortunately /etc/nwam/llp won't work.
> Due to as desribed in https://www.illumos.org/issues/560
>
> It says something about nwamcfg, but I have no idea what I need to do with
> that exactly

I've been using NWAM on a computer with one static and one dynamic IP
interface.  Is that close to what you need?  This was with Solaris 11
Express, so it may be different with OI.

I found that I couldn't use the default `Automatic' ncp and loc.  I
had to create a new ncp, a new ncu, and a new loc with `nwamcfg'.
Then I enabled the new loc with `nwamadm', replacing the `Automatic'
loc.  This enabled ipfilter and replaced /etc/resolv.conf and
/etc/nsswitch.conf .  Then I used `nwamcfg' to create the ncu phys
and ncu ip for the static interface.  I also had to use it to create
a default route, associated with the dynamic interface.

It is quite a complicated procedure, but it is documented in the
nwamadm and nwamcfg man pages.