[OpenIndiana-discuss] [illumos-Discuss] branding for illumos/openindiana

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Tue Jun 21 05:03:11 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 19:58 -0700, Marion Hakanson wrote:
> What's wrong with just "illumos"?  If you need to distinguish, just use
> "illumos, the kernel" or "illumos, OS/Net" vs "illumos, the distribution".
> The original "OpenSolaris, the distribution" was based on "OpenSolaris,
> the kernel", and other distributions based on "Opensolaris, the kernel"
> did exist.
>
> One can even get more specific about distros, e.g. "illumos desktop",
> "illumos server", or "illumos live usb", if needed.
>
> Sure, OI-147 and OI-148 did not come from "illumos, the kernel", but it
> seems unlikely anyone is going to go back to a base of "OpenSolaris, the
> kernel" for OpenIndiana, once it's completed the shift to the illumos base.
>
> Do we really need a different name for the "main" distribution?  I personally
> find it unnecessary, and it makes explaining to people what the heck OS I'm
> using a lot harder.  I have to give a whole family tree history instead of
> just saying, "Illumos is the open source fork of Solaris 11."
>
> I also happen to think "illumos" is an excellent name.  Use it everywhere.

Uhmmmm... Excuse me, but what have you been smoking?  Drinking, maybe?
I think Illumos is a pretty lame name, nothing against the people who
chose it.  I kind of like OpenIndiana, particularly when contracted to
"oi", as compared to Illumos in that at least it conveys that this is
supposed to be an "Open" project (although "Open" has been so misused by
marketroids trying to cash in on the Open Source phenom that in more
recent times its use has almost become a red flag, particularly
following the Orcale OpenSolaris fiasco).

But all that is neither here nor there.  The point is that your idea
was/is lame.  And that your mother probably dresses you funny...

--
Regards-- Ken Gunderson