[OpenIndiana-discuss] [illumos-Discuss] branding for illumos/openindiana

Marion Hakanson hakansom at ohsu.edu
Tue Jun 21 02:58:32 UTC 2011

What's wrong with just "illumos"?  If you need to distinguish, just use
"illumos, the kernel" or "illumos, OS/Net" vs "illumos, the distribution".
The original "OpenSolaris, the distribution" was based on "OpenSolaris,
the kernel", and other distributions based on "Opensolaris, the kernel"
did exist.

One can even get more specific about distros, e.g. "illumos desktop",
"illumos server", or "illumos live usb", if needed.

Sure, OI-147 and OI-148 did not come from "illumos, the kernel", but it
seems unlikely anyone is going to go back to a base of "OpenSolaris, the
kernel" for OpenIndiana, once it's completed the shift to the illumos base.

Do we really need a different name for the "main" distribution?  I personally
find it unnecessary, and it makes explaining to people what the heck OS I'm
using a lot harder.  I have to give a whole family tree history instead of
just saying, "Illumos is the open source fork of Solaris 11."

I also happen to think "illumos" is an excellent name.  Use it everywhere.

Regards,

Marion