[OpenIndiana-discuss] [illumos-Discuss] branding for illumos/openindiana

P Kaskela mail at philipkaskela.com
Tue Jun 21 19:48:19 UTC 2011

> What about Solis ? Short, would seem brandable. Quick google didn't return
> any hits for another OS or distro, but I didn't do an exhaustive search.
>

> Playing with some words and google translate:
> phoenix:
> fenice	: Italian
> fénix 	: Spanish
> feeniks	: Finnish
>

> Another idea:
> Zonos (play on words from one feature, zones; zone os shrunk to zonos)
>

> On Jun 21, 2011, at 12:10 PM, Andrey N. Oktyabrski wrote:
>
>> On 21.06.11 19:29, oi-discuss at mho.nu wrote:
>>> IcarOS?
>> http://www.icarosdesktop.org/
>>
>> On 21.06.11 20:15, Ken Gunderson wrote:
>> > I like Phoenix - reborn and rising from the ashes of Sun.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doscore

I am a recent lurker who relatively recently started using Solaris (2004
with Solaris 9 on used Ultra 2 and 5 + Solaris 10 on ultra 20).  I don't
know how valid my input is - I certainly haven't done any programming work
on any of the components.

Keeping that in mind: I really like the 'zonos' name.  It reflects the
most famous recent 'killer feature' of Solaris besides zfs and it rolls
off the tongue easily.
zonos/ZONOS is also visually symmetrical which lends itself well to logos
and the like.

The name is also simple and sounds 'professional' for lack of a better
word.  It also doesn't directly bring up associations to things like linux
does to linus or refer to silly animal mascots.

Just a thought.
-Phil Kaskela