[OpenIndiana-discuss] [illumos-Discuss] branding for illumos/openindiana

Doug Bora stigmata at abend.com
Tue Jun 21 16:38:07 UTC 2011

> I'm not averse to dropping OpenIndiana in favor of something better.  I
> AM against that being any kind of play/dependency on Illumos. I don't
> have anything against the Illumos project.  But therein lies the salient
> issue - Illumos and OI are two separate projects.

I agree. Obviously they're related, but you don't want people confusing
the 2 as they are 2 distinct projects.  The other issue I'm seeing with
a lot of name suggestions, is that a simple web search often turns up
tons of hits where the names are already in use -- many times as names
of existing software, making them less than desirable.  Coming up with a
solid name that isn't in prior use isn't an easy task!