[OpenIndiana-discuss] oracle removes 32bit x86 cpu support for solaris 11 will OI do same?

Edward Martinez crucat at aol.com
Wed Jun 22 01:06:57 UTC 2011

Hi,

Upgraded to OI 151 things for OI are looking better with each release.:-)
I have a question, it appears Oracle has removed 32 bit hardware support
for the x86 CPU for solaris 11.  so if oracle
do release solaris code after solaris 11 is out, it will most likely
only for 64bit only. so my question is if
things do indeed go that way will OI continue 32bit support in future oi
releases or do 64bit only to hold some compatibility with solaris 11 or
will I have to toss out my Pentium m laptop along with other units.

        Functionality:

    * 32-bit Kernel click here to expand or collapse

          Support for the 32-bit only x86 hardware has been removed.
Support for running 32-bit applications and libraries will continue

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/systems/end-of-notices/eonsolaris11-392732.html