[OpenIndiana-discuss] [illumos-Discuss] branding for illumos/openindiana

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Wed Jun 22 08:58:23 UTC 2011

Nikola M. writes:
> On 06/22/11 09:28 AM, Gregory Youngblood wrote:
> >> Do you want to tell me that last year, during which I have done
> >>everything to promote OpenIndiana in my local Open and Free software
> >>community, is going to be wasted? No one and I really mean no one will ever
> >>take a second look again if I have to go yet another round of "So, this *was*
> >>OpenSolaris and it *was* OpenIndiana, now it is SomeOtherShit."

Damian, you are absolutely completely correct.  I totally fully agree!

> I would like to share with you some insights about this promotion thing,
> since in previious period, I was still giving away 2009.06 CD's together
> with OI update and Illumos/S11ex story to tell.

Nikola, this is really a much better idea.  Let's focus on producing
a good stable Live CD and then distribute it as widely as possible.
I would not mind paying 30 Euros for 100 CDs to give away.  I don't
know what the actual costs are, but they would be less per CD as
the total number increases.

At one point, Sun managed to get the OpenSolaris Live CD included in
an issue of a well-known and respected computer magazine here in Germany.
Something like this would be great marketing. :-)

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt