[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs-discuss] Good SLOG devices?

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Tue Mar 1 17:56:35 UTC 2011

> a) do you need an SLOG at all? Some workloads (asynchronous ones) will
> never benefit from an SLOG.

We're planning to use this box for CIFS/NFS, so we'll need an SLOG to speed things up.

> b) form factor. at least one manufacturer uses a PCIe card which is
> not compliant with the PCIe form-factor and will not fit in many cases
> -- especially typical 1U boxes.

The box is 4U with some 7 8x PCIe slots, so I think it should do fine

> c) driver support.

That was why I asked here in the first place...

> d) do they really just go straight to ram/flash, or do they have an
> on-device SAS or SATA bus? Some PCIe devices just stick a small flash
> device on a SAS or SATA controller. I suspect that those devices won't
> see a lot of benefit relative to an external drive (although they
> could theoretically drive that private SAS/SATA bus at much higher rates
> than an external bus -- but I've not checked into it.)
>
> The other thing with PCIe based devices is that they consume an IO
> slot,
> which may be precious to you depending on your system board and other
> I/O needs.

As I mentioned above, we have sufficient slots. As for the SATA/SAS onboard controller, that was the reason I asked here in the first place.

So - do anyone know a good device for this? X25-E is rather old now, so there should be better ones available......

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685
roy at karlsbakk.net
http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
--
I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å unngå eksessiv anvendelse av idiomer med fremmed opprinnelse. I de fleste tilfeller eksisterer adekvate og relevante synonymer på norsk.