[OpenIndiana-discuss] Good SLOG devices?

wessels wessels147 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 08:42:03 UTC 2011

Go for the ups AND a device which doesn't lose data. Not only the loss
of power to the machine can make the slog lose it's data when it isn't
internally protected by a battery.
I think you can estimating how much gets written to your ideal slog
can be measured like this:
-turn the zil off completely. measure performance and how data gets
written in a certain period.
-turn the zil on again. repeat the same workload as before measure
performance and much zilstat records in a certain time.
The difference in performance is the best you can expect.
Multiply the amount of data written to the zil by the above factor and
you have a reasonable indication how much gets written to your slog
per day.

Good news last night while we were discussing this a very interesting
post appeared on the zfs mailinglist
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2011-March/047613.html
What appears the world's first dram based disk in 3.5" form factor.
Looks very interesting!
Pro's
-specifically engineered for this workload.
-has a SAS interface, HA folks would be very happy about this
-made by a company which knows how to build enterprise stuff
The only negative side I can see is the price, but I don't know the pricing.
And it doesn't fit in your x4150... but if you really want this you
can as well buy a small SuperMicro chassis with 3.5" bays as JBOD and
a SAS card for the x4150. Gives you even more expension.