[OpenIndiana-discuss] Setup serial console on ttyc (the third serial port)

wessels wessels147 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 16:46:13 UTC 2011

Perhaps all described procedures work on ttya but I can't get a console on ttyc.

ttyc (the third serial port) is a SerialOverLan port

I can see and navigate the grub menu via ttyc.

changing /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst into something like below results
in grub being redirected.
default=0
timeout=10
#background=1A61A7
#splashimage=/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
serial --unit=2 --speed=9600 --word=8 --stop=1 --parity=no
terminal serial

So the third serial port is being redirected as expected. But neither
change, as described in
http://sites.google.com/site/eonstorage/faq#TOC-How-do-I-enable-console-redirection,
 to the kernel line resulted in a console.

kernel /boot/platform/i86pc/kernel/unix -B console=ttyc

 or

kernel /boot/platform/i86pc/kernel/unix -B console=ttyc,ttyc-mode="9600,8,n,1,-"

nor

kernel /boot/platform/i86pc/kernel/unix -B console=text

I changed a couple of other files as well but nothing gives me a console.

In the /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc file, I added:
setprop ttyc-mode 9600,8,n,1,h
setprop console 'ttyc'

In the /kernel/drv/asy.conf file:
name="asy" parent="isa" reg=1,0x3e8,8 interrupts=5;

Perhaps it works on ttya but it doesn't work on ttyc. Is there
something else that needs to be changed?

Any assistance on getting this working would be most appreciated.

thanks,

Frederik