[OpenIndiana-discuss] Setup serial console on ttyc (the third serial port)

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 18:44:17 UTC 2011

wessels wrote:
> Perhaps all described procedures work on ttya but I can't get a console on ttyc.
>
> ttyc (the third serial port) is a SerialOverLan port

Sorry, but the kernel only recognizes ttya and ttyb (and usb-serial) as
console= values, not ttyc.

It's been a very long missing feature on Solaris x86, but became less
important as the number of motherboard serial ports has reduced over the
years, and ISA-bus serial cards became unusable (no ISA-bus slots anymore).

Can you disable ttya (com1) in the BIOS, and then reconfigure ttyc
(com3) to have the i/o address and irq which were associated with com1,
so it looks like com1 (ttya) to the OS? (IIRC, 0x3f8 and IRQ 4)

--
Andrew