[OpenIndiana-discuss] install OSOL 134/sparc fails in LDOM

Dave Miner dminer at opensolaris.org
Fri Mar 4 16:48:25 UTC 2011

On 03/ 4/11 04:50 AM, Olaf Bohlen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to install OSOL 134 in a LDOM on my T2000 to upgrade to OI 148.
> So I got the AI sparc iso from genunix.org and set up my LDOM as following:
>
> -- snip --
> (448) foo:/root# ldm list -l osol
> NAME             STATE      FLAGS   CONS    VCPU  MEMORY   UTIL  UPTIME
> osol             active     -n----  5001    6     4G       0.0%  1d 19h 6m
>
> SOFTSTATE
> Solaris running
>
> MAC
>      00:14:4f:bb:cc:f3
>
> HOSTID
>      0xaabbccf3
>
> CONTROL
>      failure-policy=ignore
>
> DEPENDENCY
>      master=
>
> VCPU
>      VID    PID    UTIL STRAND
>      0      8      0.1%   100%
>      1      9      0.0%   100%
>      2      10     0.0%   100%
>      3      11     0.0%   100%
>      4      12     0.1%   100%
>      5      13     0.0%   100%
>
> MEMORY
>      RA               PA               SIZE
>      0x8000000        0x208000000      4G
>
> VARIABLES
>      auto-boot?=false
>
> NETWORK
>      NAME             SERVICE                     DEVICE     MAC
>         MODE   PVID VID                  MTU
>      vnic2            vsw1 at primary                network at 0
> 00:14:4f:bb:cc:ed        1                         1500
>
> DISK
>      NAME             VOLUME                      TOUT DEVICE  SERVER
>        MPGROUP
>      dvd1             sol10u9-iso at primary-vds0         disk at 2  primary
>      zdisk0           osol-zdisk0 at primary-vds0         disk at 0  primary
>      dvd0             osol-iso at primary-vds0            disk at 1  primary
>
> VCONS
>      NAME             SERVICE                     PORT
>      osol             primary-vcc0 at primary        5001
> -- snip --
>
> I configured also an Sol10 U9 iso as "dvd1" to the LDOM for testing purposes.
>
> So, when I boot up from dvd0 the install hangs:
>
> -- snip --
> Sun Fire T200, No Keyboard
> Copyright (c) 1998, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
> OpenBoot 4.30.4.b, 4096 MB memory available, Serial #aabbccdd.
> Ethernet address 0:14:aa:bb:cc:dd, Host ID: aabbccdd.
>

> {0} ok boot dvd0
> Boot device: /virtual-devices at 100/channel-devices at 200/disk at 1  File and args:
> SunOS Release 5.11 Version snv_134 64-bit
> Copyright 1983-2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
> Use is subject to license terms.
> Hostname: opensolaris
> Remounting root read/write
> Probing for device nodes ...
> Preparing automated install image for use
> Requesting System Maintenance Mode
> (See /lib/svc/share/README for more information.)
> [...]

No, the wanboot fs only appears if you've booted from the network; in
this case you've booted from a local CD (virtually).  It's possible this
didn't work in LDOMs back in 134, as the devices present a little oddly
there; I just don't remember.  Your workaround in that case would be to
set up an AI server and boot it from the net.

Dave