[OpenIndiana-discuss] install OSOL 134/sparc fails in LDOM

Olaf Bohlen olafbohlen at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 4 09:50:38 UTC 2011

Hi,

I want to install OSOL 134 in a LDOM on my T2000 to upgrade to OI 148.
So I got the AI sparc iso from genunix.org and set up my LDOM as following:

-- snip --
(448) foo:/root# ldm list -l osol
NAME             STATE      FLAGS   CONS    VCPU  MEMORY   UTIL  UPTIME
osol             active     -n----  5001    6     4G       0.0%  1d 19h 6m

SOFTSTATE
Solaris running

MAC
    00:14:4f:bb:cc:f3

HOSTID
    0xaabbccf3

CONTROL
    failure-policy=ignore

DEPENDENCY
    master=

VCPU
    VID    PID    UTIL STRAND
    0      8      0.1%   100%
    1      9      0.0%   100%
    2      10     0.0%   100%
    3      11     0.0%   100%
    4      12     0.1%   100%
    5      13     0.0%   100%

MEMORY
    RA               PA               SIZE
    0x8000000        0x208000000      4G

VARIABLES
    auto-boot?=false

NETWORK
    NAME             SERVICE                     DEVICE     MAC
       MODE   PVID VID                  MTU
    vnic2            vsw1 at primary                network at 0
00:14:4f:bb:cc:ed        1                         1500

DISK
    NAME             VOLUME                      TOUT DEVICE  SERVER
      MPGROUP
    dvd1             sol10u9-iso at primary-vds0         disk at 2  primary
    zdisk0           osol-zdisk0 at primary-vds0         disk at 0  primary
    dvd0             osol-iso at primary-vds0            disk at 1  primary

VCONS
    NAME             SERVICE                     PORT
    osol             primary-vcc0 at primary        5001
-- snip --

I configured also an Sol10 U9 iso as "dvd1" to the LDOM for testing purposes.

So, when I boot up from dvd0 the install hangs:

-- snip --
Sun Fire T200, No Keyboard
Copyright (c) 1998, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
OpenBoot 4.30.4.b, 4096 MB memory available, Serial #aabbccdd.
Ethernet address 0:14:aa:bb:cc:dd, Host ID: aabbccdd.

{0} ok boot dvd0
Boot device: /virtual-devices at 100/channel-devices at 200/disk at 1  File and args:
SunOS Release 5.11 Version snv_134 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
Hostname: opensolaris
Remounting root read/write
Probing for device nodes ...
Preparing automated install image for use
Requesting System Maintenance Mode
(See /lib/svc/share/README for more information.)
Console login service(s) cannot run

Enter user name for system maintenance (control-d to bypass):

-- snip --

After a bit debugging I think the reason is that the wanboot driver is
not correctly loaded, so the image on the iso containing the wandboot
config can't be mounted and the wanboot.conf of course cannot be
loaded.

-- snip --
root@:/lib/svc/method# more ./live-fs-root-minimal
[...]
#
# Depending upon how we are booted, enable either the
# 'live-media' instance or the 'net' instance of the
# filesystem/root service
#
if [ $ISA_INFO = "sparc" ]; then
        # check if the wanboot device exists
        BOOTFS_DISK="/devices/ramdisk-bootfs:a"
        if [ -b "$BOOTFS_DISK" ]; then
                #
                # booting off of the net
                /usr/sbin/svcadm enable svc:/system/filesystem/root:net
                /usr/sbin/svcadm disable svc:/system/filesystem/root:media
        fi
else
        MEDIA=`$PRTCONF -v | $SED -n '/install_media/{;n;p;}'`
if [ ! -z "$MEDIA" ]; then
/usr/sbin/svcadm enable svc:/system/filesystem/root:net
/usr/sbin/svcadm disable svc:/system/filesystem/root:media
fi
fi

root@:/lib/svc/method# ls /devices
iscsi                pseudo:devctl        scsi_vhci
iscsi:devctl         ramdisk-root         scsi_vhci:devctl
options              ramdisk-root:a       virtual-devices at 100
pseudo               ramdisk-root:a,raw
-- snip --

Can anybody confirm this (and has a work-around)?

Thanks,

--
Olaf Bohlen      <olafbohlen at googlemail.com>