[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tabs no longer expanded when cutting and pasting

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Mar 4 17:28:56 UTC 2011

I noticed this change with respect to Solaris 10 in both Openindiana
148 and Solaris 11 Express: when I cut text in one gnome-terminal
window and paste it into another, tabs are no longer expanded to
spaces.  I suppose this is better behavior because you generally want
to retain the tabs.  However, it's a problem for me when I'm pasting
into an emacs editor session within that terminal window.  In that
case, emacs treats the tabs as an indentation command, the same as if
I had typed them by hand.  The amount of indentation increases with
each successive tab.

The only solution I've found so far is to type:

    M-x global-set-key<RET> <TAB> self-insert-command

before I paste in the text.  Are there any better solutions?  I know
that emacs in its own window doesn't have this problem, but there are
times I need to run it in tty mode.