[OpenIndiana-discuss] oi0148 illumos integration status??

Guido Berhoerster gber at openindiana.org
Tue Mar 15 10:52:11 UTC 2011

* Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net> [2011-03-15 01:53]:
> I'm confused about whether what's being served up at:
>
> <http://openindiana.org/download/>
>
> is now Illumos based or still on ON??

That is still oi_148 based on the last available Oracle ONNV.

> I caught that the 148a build was rekindled as 148 so as not to fubar up
> pkg-repo version numbers, and then subsequently at pkg repo
>
> <http://pkg.openindiana.org/dev-il/en/index.shtml>
>
> But if I want to point someone to dl Illumos based 148 what is the
> correct URL?

The /dev-il repo is basically the above oi_148 with Oracle ONNV
replaced by Illumos. It is an experimental build and not intended
for general use, please keep that in mind when pointing people to
it.

> Basically the post here:
>
> <http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2011-March/000273.html>
>
> and the terse "I'll move it" response has left me confused and some
> clarification would be appreciated.

What is called "oi_148a" was a livecd image constructed from the
packages which are in the above /dev-il repo. It was distributed
as technology preview cd at SCALE and not intended for general
use, thus it should not have been placed on dlc.openindiana.org.
Since a number of fixes which went into the oi_148 image were
accidentally left out of the oi_148a image there are a number of
known bugs.

Our next steps will likely be another respin of oi_148a for
internal usage where perl-584 is being replaced by perl-510.
After ironing out any potential problems we will deliver a new
public development release based on a snapshot of Illumos ON and
b151a for the other consolidations. When this development build
has proven sufficiently stable and major bugs have been dealt
with we plan to make this our first stable release.

We have an open development process so experimental repos and
images might be visible, please only use what has been publically
announced unless you know what you are doing.

--
Guido Berhoerster