[OpenIndiana-discuss] oi0148 illumos integration status??

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Tue Mar 15 12:34:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 11:52 +0100, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> * Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net> [2011-03-15 01:53]:
> > I'm confused about whether what's being served up at:
> >
> > <http://openindiana.org/download/>
> >
> > is now Illumos based or still on ON??
>
> That is still oi_148 based on the last available Oracle ONNV.
>
> > I caught that the 148a build was rekindled as 148 so as not to fubar up
> > pkg-repo version numbers, and then subsequently at pkg repo
> >
> > <http://pkg.openindiana.org/dev-il/en/index.shtml>
> >
> > But if I want to point someone to dl Illumos based 148 what is the
> > correct URL?
>
> The /dev-il repo is basically the above oi_148 with Oracle ONNV
> replaced by Illumos. It is an experimental build and not intended
> for general use, please keep that in mind when pointing people to
> it.
>
> > Basically the post here:
> >
> > <http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2011-March/000273.html>
> >
> > and the terse "I'll move it" response has left me confused and some
> > clarification would be appreciated.
>
> What is called "oi_148a" was a livecd image constructed from the
> packages which are in the above /dev-il repo. It was distributed
> as technology preview cd at SCALE and not intended for general
> use, thus it should not have been placed on dlc.openindiana.org.
> Since a number of fixes which went into the oi_148 image were
> accidentally left out of the oi_148a image there are a number of
> known bugs.

This was spun from what was once labeled oi-dev-148a-x86-20110223-1.iso,
or something with further fixes?

> Our next steps will likely be another respin of oi_148a for
> internal usage where perl-584 is being replaced by perl-510.

Plus the fixes that were accidentally left out of "oi-148a"?

> After ironing out any potential problems we will deliver a new
> public development release based on a snapshot of Illumos ON and
> b151a for the other consolidations. When this development build
> has proven sufficiently stable and major bugs have been dealt
> with we plan to make this our first stable release.

That will be a happy day for many :)  Are there any general timeline
estimates?

> We have an open development process so experimental repos and
> images might be visible, please only use what has been publically
> announced unless you know what you are doing.

Thank you, Guido.  The clarification is much appreciated.

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>