[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proxy for auto-updates?

David nonot100 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 22:26:58 UTC 2011

>> > Totally new to Solaris....  Thought I'd try Open Indiana live DVD inside
>> a VM.
>> >
>> > Question:  How do I configure the package manger/updater to use an http
>> proxy?
>>
>> The package manager may be something of a moving target -- I don't
>> have a http proxy to test on, but the instructions here aren't too
>> outdated, so may work:
>>
>> http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=59229

Per the other thread, I did try:

export http_proxy=http://proxy.name:port
sudo /usr/bin/packagemanager

But, it still does not work.

I finally tried:
sudo bash -c "export http_proxy=http://proxy.name:port; /usr/bin/packagemanager"

That did work.

Anyway, as a new user, I found a couple of issues:

1) I can't even launch these applications of a fresh install, since
the GUI is prompting me for a root password, but no root password is
created during the install process.  This appears to be true for many
admin applets.  (Plus, I would have assumed it would use "gksudo" or
some equivalent, but it does not.)

2) There should be a functional, and obvious, "cancel" button in both
those apps while they block on network activity.

3) Since these are among the first applications run on a fresh system,
a shortcut to the Network settings applet in the menus and "waiting on
network" state would be nice.

Thank you