[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs-discuss] best migration path from Solaris 10

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Sat Mar 19 14:58:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 06:26:37PM -0700, Michael DeMan wrote:
> ZFSv28 is in HEAD now and will be out in 8.3.
>
> ZFS + HAST in 9.x means being able to cluster off different hardware.
>
> In regards to OpenSolaris and Indiana - can somebody clarify the relationship there?  It was clear with OpenSolaris that the latest/greatest ZFS would always be available since it was a guinea-pig product for cost conscious folks and served as an excellent area for Sun to get marketplace feedback and bug fixes done before rolling updates into full Solaris.
>
> To me it seems that Open Indiana is basically a green branch off of a dead tree - if I am wrong, please enlighten me.

Illumos project was started as a fork of OpenSolaris when Oracle was still publishing OpenSolaris sources.

Then Oracle closed OpenSolaris development, and decided to call upcoming (closed) versions "Solaris 11 Express",
with no source included.

Illumos project continued the development based on the latest published OpenSolaris sources,
and a bit later OpenIndiana *distribution* was announced to deliver a binary distro based on OpenSolaris/Illumos.

So in short Illumos is the development project, which hosts the new sources, and OpenIndiana is a binary distro based on it.

-- Pasi