[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs-discuss] best migration path from Solaris 10

Deano deano at rattie.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 19 15:44:09 UTC 2011

That’s not quite right, Illumos is open source continuation of ONNV, which
is the core foundation, however it doesn't include other consolidation that
made up OpenSolaris.

OpenIndiana does, it takes all those consolidations and produces a working
OS you can install. Of course the biggest and most important of those
consolidation is Illumos. The reason OI is only now slowly moving to
Illumos, it has many other consolidations that also required work before a
safe move could be made, and also keeping OpenIndiana in line with the
closed source variants.

There are other forks for both areas (ONNV replacements and installable OS
distributions), if for some reason Illumos and OpenIndiana aren't suitable.

HTH,
Deano