[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI boot problem

GUY WOOLLEY guy.woolley at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 22 20:50:06 UTC 2011

Since last October I've had OI 147/148 running on a new home PC. A while ago I attempted to mirror it. All seemed good though I didn't fully check that the mirror booted (silly me etc. - this is a home PC). Then the worst happened and the new drive where OI was installed failed. So I'm left with the drive carrying the mirror that doesn't boot (currently the only drive in the machine). Is this recoverable - or is it goodbye to OI ?

Some specifics:

I can boot from the live USB image and inspect my original OI using

zpool import -f -R /a rpool

and mount 0i_148-2 (my last instance of OI) at /a using beadm mount

If I try

ls /a/rpool/boot/grub

I find

bootsign capability menu.lst splash.xpm.gz

and

ls /bootsign shows a file pool_rpool.

If I unmount 0i_148-2 and reboot, Grub tries to start, but I get

"booting '0i_148-2'

findroot (pool_rpool,1,a)

Error 15: File not found   Press any key to continue"

which takes me to the grub editor.

Changing values for "1" and "a" (to anything else) is of no consequence, nor is

deleting them to use simply "findroot (pool_rpool)".

Any suggestions as to how to fix this, or indeed advice that it can't be fixed much appreciated.

Thanks

Guy