[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI boot problem

Matt Connolly matt.connolly.au at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 09:58:09 UTC 2011

On my system, I see:

matt at vault:/opensolaris/boot/grub$ ls /rpool/boot/grub/
bootsign       capability     menu.lst       splash.xpm.gz

and

matt at vault:/opensolaris/boot/grub$ ls /boot/grub/
bin                e2fs_stage1_5      install_menu       menu.lst           pxegrub            stage1             ufs_stage1_5       xfs_stage1_5
capability         fat_stage1_5       iso9660_stage1_5   minix_stage1_5     reiserfs_stage1_5  stage2             ufs2_stage1_5      zfs_stage1_5
default            ffs_stage1_5       jfs_stage1_5       nbgrub             splash.xpm.gz      stage2_eltorito    vstafs_stage1_5

There's definitely more files in /boot/grub in the active boot environment than there is in /rpool/boot/grub.

Perhaps you can boot off the live disc, and

# installgrub PATH/boot/grub/stage1 PATH/boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0

exchanging PATH for the mount path to what was the active boot environment, not just the root of the pool.

I checked on my machine if I `beadm mount be_name mount_point` then in `/mount_point/boot/grub/' I see the full list of boot files.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how `beadm mount` goes at mounting boot environments from another pool.

Hope that helps somewhat,

Matt