[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI boot problem

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 10:58:42 UTC 2011

On 03/27/11 07:56 PM, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:

>> I agree. It is surprising that the Indiana project attempted to make Solaris more Linux-like and then left some obviously different commands around.
>> Perhaps adding /usr/gnu/bin/reboot etc would be a compatible way to fix this?
>> Chris
>
> Well I've always found anything other than the System V way of doing things to be
> amateur hour.
>
> Compatibility isn't just with scripts, it's with people too.
>
> Besides, what's so hard to remember about
> shutdown -i6 -y -g0    ?

Well, I agree that remembering
shutdown -g 0 -y -i 5 for shutdown machine is not that hard.

BUT that is the question I was asked from newcomers a year ago
(Obviously you know where newcomers are coming from.. from Linux and
very few quite new ones) and I did not told them because I also did not
know. (I told him pfexec halt and he was angry at me and whole
distribution for not doing full shutdown).
I figured that out by being stubborn and looking at man pages, and that
is what 99 percent of eventual newcomers will not do.

If I told them that shutdown command needs 3 switches or looking at man
pages and remembering of them, then I would be laughed at.

I think everyone is thinking that old behavior should working as
expected. Just There is need for a command, like /halt/ or other named
that definitely shutdowns machine with one command.