[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI boot problem

Toomas Soome Toomas.Soome at mls.ee
Mon Mar 28 11:31:08 UTC 2011

On 28.03.2011, at 13:58, Nikola M. wrote:

> On 03/27/11 07:56 PM, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
>
>>> I agree. It is surprising that the Indiana project attempted to make Solaris more Linux-like and then left some obviously different commands around.
>>> Perhaps adding /usr/gnu/bin/reboot etc would be a compatible way to fix this?
>>> Chris
>>
>> Well I've always found anything other than the System V way of doing things to be
>> amateur hour.
>>
>> Compatibility isn't just with scripts, it's with people too.
>>
>> Besides, what's so hard to remember about
>> shutdown -i6 -y -g0    ?
>
> Well, I agree that remembering
> shutdown -g 0 -y -i 5 for shutdown machine is not that hard.
>
> BUT that is the question I was asked from newcomers a year ago
> (Obviously you know where newcomers are coming from.. from Linux and
> very few quite new ones) and I did not told them because I also did not
> know. (I told him pfexec halt and he was angry at me and whole
> distribution for not doing full shutdown).
> I figured that out by being stubborn and looking at man pages, and that
> is what 99 percent of eventual newcomers will not do.
>
> If I told them that shutdown command needs 3 switches or looking at man
> pages and remembering of them, then I would be laughed at.
>
> I think everyone is thinking that old behavior should working as
> expected. Just There is need for a command, like /halt/ or other named
> that definitely shutdowns machine with one command.

shutdown command (script) is to make it possible to generate announces and grace time. thats all about it. the "correct" fast way in solaris is to use init command. in opensolaris based distributions you *can* now use reboot as well, which was updated to be safe, but its *not* safe for solaris 10 or older ones.  if its still too hard to understand, you can always just use shutdown from gnome system menu....

and still, if you wanna have linux commands, just use linux.

toomas