[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI boot problem

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Mar 28 13:34:04 UTC 2011

> The problem is always legacy stuff.  If you change the behaviors then
> expect that things that people wrote for Solaris to fail.  For example,
> napp-it, webmin, etc.

You are quite correct.

> The only acceptable solution for me is to put all the Linux compatible
> stuff somewhere and let the sysadmin decide whether he wants to put that
> first in the PATH.  Isn't this how Solaris handled the BSD equivalents
> (/usr/ucb/).  I used that until I got comfortable with the SysV
> replacements when we migrated from SunOS to Solaris.

That would be one solution to the problem.  But it seems that the
argument of the Linux-over-Legacy-Solaris factions is that this
should be shipped enabled, and taking precedence.

I guess it boils down to the question:  Should OI remain true to
the "old" Solaris, or should it run after the Linux crowd that
doesn't bother with OI anyway?   My opinion can be derived from
the way I phrased the question. :-)

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt