[OpenIndiana-discuss] reboot/shutdown commands (Was: Re: OI boot problem)

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 15:09:15 UTC 2011

Hi All,

My proposal would be to add a "Linux/*BSD"-like reboot and shutdown
command to /usr/gnu/bin

The traditionalist UNIX folk don't typically run /usr/gnu/bin at the
front of their path, whilst the more progressive amongst us do. So this
should satisfy both parties.

When I was switching from a Linux/FreeBSD background to Solaris, I found
the unnecessarily complicated reboot/shutdown situation highly
frustrating. Typing "init 6" and "init 5" when you mean "reboot" and
"shutdown" seemed utterly bizarre, and stupid, and angered me.

Rather than do a half-baked shell script that wraps the existing tools,
I think we should probably do a bit more research and implement
something a bit more "proper" with similar FreeBSD/Linux like syntax
(depending on what that syntax is - I haven't looked in a while).

Cheers,

Alasdair