[OpenIndiana-discuss] reboot/shutdown commands (Was: Re: OI boot problem)

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 15:24:14 UTC 2011

1) "the more progressive amongst us do" I take exception to this
statement ... some of the GNU commands are broken on Solaris, and
secure accounts should have as little in it's path (if you use root or
any secure account) as possible so that you can be _sure_ of which app
you are using.

2) "reboot" does what it says on the tin, "shutdown" works as would be
expected (you can use shutdown to run many different types of
shutdown/init) ...

Please do not change these to make them more like Linux, please do not
change the init levels to make them match Linux, IMO the Linux init
states are broken.

If you're using a server then expect to know some of the commands for
running the server. If you're using the desktop there is a nice
graphical "Shutdown" routine. If you're in front of the hardware and
you want to power down (and it's an ATX case) press the power button
once.