[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs-discuss] zfs incremental send?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 13:57:35 UTC 2011

I just realized you're probably wanting to copy your data to the new  pool which is especially trivial.  Just open a terminal window, start the send-receive  and use job control to start and stop the stream as needed.

If you need to shut the system down, you'll have to break up the stream using dd if it's a single 30 TB filesystem which will be a lot more difficult and incur lots of overhead when you restart the job.  But hopefully you planned ahead and used several file systems.  If not, now would be a good time to do that.  Add some disk to the old pool, create a transfer file system and migrate portions of the data into the transfer file system.

FWIW It seems to me that you could have simply added disk to your existing pool and balanced the data across the disks by making local copies.  For example:

mkdir new
cp -r old new
rm -rf old
mv new old

If zfs was written properly, which I suspect is the case, once all the data had been copied once, you'd have it evenly distributed over the enlarged pool.

Have Fun!
Reg