[OpenIndiana-discuss] Linux vs. Solaris

Al Slater al.slater at scluk.com
Tue Mar 29 14:52:29 UTC 2011

On 29/03/2011 15:00, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

> A friend of mine who is a long time Linux user but with
> an interest in OpenIndiana and OpenBSD and NetBSD
> asked me to send the following. Message.
>
> A.S.
>
> ----------------------
> Apostolos Syropoulos
> Xanthi, Greece
>
> ----
>

>> Gary Gender wrote:
>
>> For example, init 0 on Linux vs init 5
>> on Solaris and init 5 vs init 6.  I'm not sure if all of them can be
>> resolved for everyone.  I came from the other end...  A long time
>> Solaris admin going to Linux.  Why didn't everyone scream that Linux
>> doesn't do the right thing?
>
>> The problem is always legacy stuff.  If you change the behaviors then
>> expect that things that people wrote for Solaris to fail.  For example,
>> napp-it, webmin, etc.
>
> +1
> ----------------------
> Apostolos Syropoulos
> Xanthi, Greece
> Why should solaris change the commands to immitate linux ? Who said
> the linux behavior is correct and the solaris one is wrong ?
>
> Neither a install-time choice is needed/correct. What if i use the
> "linux way" in my box and then go to fix some problem on my friend's box
> that didn't choose the linux way ?
>
> The proper "fix" is to educate solaris users. I know that the manpage
> for reboot has all the information, but a put_OS_here user will suppose
> the behavior is the same and won't read the manpage. Also, it is difficult
> to read 100 manpages in order to use the system. A wiki page or tutorial
> or whatever that contains useful information would be the best solution IMHO
> to get things started and from then ofcourse there are the manpages.

What rubbish!  Suppose I spend all day administrating solaris boxes and
then I have to administer a linux box occassionally.  Clearly, following
your logic above, the linux boxes need fixing because it is different
and I won't read a man page for some reason.

Unfortunately for your logic, that is exactly what I do.  I spend 95% of
my time using solaris, 1% of my time using linux and 4% on other
flavours of stuff.  They all have slight nuances and I have to learn
them.  It's not hard.

- --
Al Slater