[OpenIndiana-discuss] Linux vs. Solaris

Thommy M. Malmström thommy.m.malmstrom at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 18:29:20 UTC 2011

On 29 March 2011 20:02, Apostolos Syropoulos <asyropoulos at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Unfortunately for your logic, that is exactly what I do.  I spend 95% of
>> my time using solaris, 1% of my time using linux and 4% on other
>> flavours of stuff.  They all have slight nuances and I have to learn
>> them.  It's not hard.
>>

> Not everyone is a system administrator and not everyone wants to
> be one. I simply don't like Windows and I want a robust system to
> use, that's why I am using OpenIndiana. I guess there many people
> out there who are just like me. The more such people use OpenIndiana,
> the more the system will be popular. And this is the reason, OpenIndiana
> and Illumos must become as user-friendly as possible and even more.

But it's not a valid argument that just because Solaris doesn't have
the same commands as Linux it is not user-friendly. We who know
Solaris better than Linux can argue the same way to no usefulness.
They are different and will be. If you want user-friendliness, look at
the difference in creating disk pools and file systems.