[OpenIndiana-discuss] Linux vs. Solaris

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Wed Mar 30 02:22:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 09:03 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 30, 2011 08:00 AM, Ken Gunderson wrote:

> >> Er...certainly the core is a carefully designed product but I would not
> >> go so far as to claim the whole of Solaris is a carefully designed product.
> >>
> >> Anyway, when will KDE be brought on board instead of that directionless
> >> excuse for a desktop environment called GNOME?
> >
> > Ha!  Why anyone would want, or indeed, could even use that bug ridden
> > pos they call kde these days is beyond me....
> >
> > fyi- I was a kde1, 2, and to some extent kde3 user before I gave up and
> > switched to Xfce4.  Changing platform to OS made Gnome one of the pills
> > I had to swallow.  And a jagged little pill it was, as I formerly
> > detested it.  After some time using it, however, I began to appreciate
> > Gnome.  I test drive the latest and not so greatest KDE4 from time to
> > time on Linux boxes and am amazed at just how badly they missed it....
>
> Yes, Kubuntu is a complete disaster. Not the KDE team's fault though I
> don't think. The Kubuntu devs botched it real bad. On another note, I
> have heard that users of KDE on OpenSolaris are happy with it?

Who ever said anything about K/Ubuntu, mon?  Imho, Ubuntu is for lamers
who're not quite bright enough to use a real operating system....

> I stopped using OpenSolaris as a desktop after I have had enough of GNOME...

My experience is opposite - the more I use Gnome, the greater my
appreciation.  Every once in a while I go retro and take Xfce or LXDE
for a spin, or even more retro and roll by own on top of OpenBOX.  While
each has it's pros and cons, I keep coming back to Gnome because it just
works and I've better things to do with my time than tweak my
workstation desktop ad nauseum.

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>